My very first pattern mash-up! Nothing particularly complicated, but I’m proud of it. Making progress towards bringing all the lovely little monsters in my head to life. This dress is half modified Scout Tee, and half Staple Dress (from the waist down). Actually, I also used the pockets from the Colette Hazel dress (they’re deeper than the Staple Dress pockets), so this dress has elements of three patterns thrown in.
I know, in the pictures it doesn’t look radically different from a plain old Staple Dress. However, there are some significant changes. This version has set-in (rather than kimono) sleeves, and so is more fitted around the shoulders. It also has a higher, narrower neck– higher than the original scout tee. I used the pattern pieces I altered for my own scout tees, so that the neckline would be higher and Korea-appropriate (A skirt that barely covers your butt? No problem. A tiny bit of cleavage? ABSOLUTELY NOT!).
There’s also a side bust dart, part of my scout-tee alterations.
If you’re curious about how I did it, I basically just laid the Scout pattern pieces over the Staple dress pattern pieces, matching them up at the waist (which I measured and marked on the Scout tee. I used the shirring line on the Staple.). I then put some tracing paper over it, and traced it out, blending the two patterns together. I measured carefully to make sure my side seams would still match up. Here’s a visual aid:
Anyways, enough rambling, here’s the important information:
Sizing: Heavily altered size 16 Scout (see here for more information on that), and a Staple dress graded from XXL at the bust to XL at the waist.
Fabric: Kaufman London Calling Lawn, in Tiny Flower (black). I bought mine at fabric.com. I absolutely love this fabric, soft, smooth, easy to work with… Just going my the fabric qualities, I would love to buy it up in more prints, but to be honest I find most of them a bit… daggy (or, “frumpy”, for any North American readers… was just informed the other day by an American friend that she had no idea what “daggy” meant!). I like this print though, despite (perhaps because of?) its 90s vibe.
–Store-bought bias tape for the neckline,
–black quilting cotton for the pockets (which feels a bit heavy for the main fabric… something lighter would have been better),
–shorter than the original Staple dress
–3 lines of shirring.
Here’s a before-and-after for the shirring.
I’m never sure how to finish a post…. but that’s all I can think of to say about it, at the moment. I guess I’ll end by saying that I really love this dress, and it’s gotten a LOT of wear– the fabric is so light, it feels as close as you can get to not wearing anything at all. When I wear it to work, I feel like I’m cheating and wearing a nightgown! It’s perhaps a bit casual for a teacher in Korea, but then again most of what I wear is perhaps a bit too casual. And I did get a lot of compliments on it at work, including by the principal, so I’m going to take that as the all-clear!
(photos taken right next to my shiny new apartment building… this rather scenic decay always reminds me of Korea’s rough past)